[SEL] Rough and Tumble

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 06:07:02 PDT 2014

In a message dated 8/28/2014 7:18:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ozengine at iinet.net.au writes:

I totally enjoyed my time there and met up with Tom Sch??, his wife
and Bill Lopoulos (are you both still on the list)

Yes Kerry I am still here, but mostly a lurker.

My wife and I attended the R and T show for 5 years in a row and were there
 from Wednesday till Sunday morning, met a lot of nice people from around
the world, and always had a good time.  We traveled about 6 hours to get
there, had the trailer loaded with a 6 or 7 hp engine on cart.  Our truck  was
always loaded with clothes, rain coats, umbrellas, food , drinks, gas cans,
 Big Red Book, Gas Engine magazines, and other reference stuff, spare
parts,  tools, extra chairs, etc.

We watched as engine folks children sleeping in tents beside the  running
engines grew older.  If it had not been for a motor home allowed in  at that
time I would not have had the pleasure to see first hand, take photos,  and
put my hands on a very rare working salesman sample engine that had been to
South America and back.  It was always inside the motor home and was  later
sold for $40,000+ (Judge Tommy knows where it ended up).

We watched as the tractor folks and the engine folks had conflicts.   The
tractor folks lined up their tractors in neat rows and wanted the engine
folks to do the same.  One morning they even changed the gate lock during  the
night so the engine folks could not drive their trucks in that morning. Now
that was a confrontation to see!  The engine folks cleaned up some of the
fair grounds and the tractor folks would encroach on it.

One of the biggest differences was the engine folks with their truck, motor
 home, trailer display disarray always had engines running and people ready
to  talk about the engines, how they worked, help get others involved in
the  hobby, etc.  The tractor folks lined up their tractors and then
disappeared  for the most part.

Why did I quit going to R&T?  The last time there,  they announced it very
loudly,  "your motor homes and trucks are not  welcomed inside any more".
Your vehicle will be parked out in never-never  land -period!
I kept up with that show and the engine displays went down hill after
that.  I am glad to hear that it is building up again.

 I attended  a lot of shows in the Virginia/North Carolina area  and from
Florida to Pennsylvania, to Indiana.  Most of those allowed  vehicles by or
very near the display.  One of the biggest shows I attend is  at Denton, NC
that allows motor homes, trucks, everywhere in the engine  area.  Always
engines running.  The tractors are neatly lined up in  another area doing
nothing, and  no owners around to discuss them  with the spectator.

My vote is to allow vehicles inside where space permits or parking very
nearby the display!

Tom  Schmutz
Concord,  Va.
germoamer at aol.com