[SEL] Rough and Tumble

Frank DeWitt LBP Frank at lbpinc.com
Thu Aug 28 11:34:31 PDT 2014

Thanks for the background.  I have attended for 3 years now so I am
beginning to pick up some history and it agrees with what you have
written.  BTW I think I was lucky that I have been attending on the up
swing and was not there at the low point.

There is a big show near my home (Pageant of Steam) and I like it but
asked my self why I like R&T better.  One think I came up with is the no
cars in the exhibit area rule!   I was amazed at my self because I am
one of the people who needs to leave my exhibit and park my car and it
was a rule that delayed my attending R&T for a few years.   What I
realized is that at R&T I walk from one engine to the next with nothing
in between but engines When I look out over the grounds all I see is old
iron.  At Pageant of Steam I look at a engine, then walk past a 40 ft RV
and look at another engine.  A lot more walking and a lot less eye candy.

This year R&T has a new president and the word is that he is much more
non steam friendly.    One sign of this is a new building that has been
set up on the grounds and staffed by volunteers to do nothing but sell
stuff for exhibitors.  You give them your stuff with the price and a
cell number if you like, they display it, sell it and take the money for
you.     Another small sign of a attitude of caring about people is that
the show hires two people to do nothing but keep the rest rooms clean
all day every day.  I have never seen that at a engine show.

BTW The flea market is still separate but it is down the hill (same
grounds) next to the private camp site.  Lots of trees.

BBTW  I figured out a trick last year for these shows without your
vehicle. I take a second cooler and put all that stuff that is usually
in the car in it.  Papers, cards, camera, sunscreen, all that stuff we
need.  I don't miss the car like I thought I would.

http://www.roughandtumble.org/groundsmap