[SEL] Rough and Tumble

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Thu Aug 28 10:48:19 PDT 2014

Frank, and everyone...

Rough and Tumble is one of the better shows in the country, and perhaps the
very best for steam enthusiasts.  We attended, and exhibited there for over
thirty five years.  And it was geared to family involvement;  our grand
children said it was their favorite week of the year.

R&T's revised rules regarding "no parking" near one's exhibit forced many of
us out.  And the rule of "no selling from one's exhibit space" was the
clincher.  We always had excess stuff to sell... spark plugs, oilers, coil
boxes, etc.

Admittedly, the folks who came solely to sell had to go out into the hot sun
across the road... and these flea market folk felt like outcasts.  The new
rules are not all bad... but in total, the flavor of the show changed for
the old-timers.  Leaving models and exhibit stuff unattended while one went
to park the car seemed unreasonable to a lot of exhibitors.

The steam side of this show is unsurpassed.  Dozens of behemoths under
steam.  A superior model building.  Wonderful permanent displays both of
steam and IC engines.  Many of the regulars at Coolspring are in attendance
at R&T.  The "big engine" exhibits are worth seeing.  Just watch these
videos.

I recall entering the big permanent display building and seeing a nearly
completed steam engine in the final stages of reconstruction.  It was
magnificent except for the color... a brilliant day-glow chartreuse.  I
quietly said to my wife "Who could have chosen that color..." and a voice
from under the flywheel answered "I did!"  Shut me up quick.

Frank, these videos tell the tale.  This is still a great show.  And the
food was wonderful.  Right in the middle of Pennsylvania Dutch country, the
baked goods brought in from local farms and the fresh melons were a daily
treat.

Show attendance dropped after the new rules were imposed, but it is obvious
that attendance remains strong.  The traffic on Route 30 past the grounds is
still a buster, stop-and-go for several miles is no fun.

Frank, thanks for the good memories.  Every night our family would go out to
dinner at the Harvest Inn smelling of hot oil and coal smoke.  Happy
memories indeed!

Jim in Vermont