[SEL] Restoration Request for Information

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sun Jan 1 03:50:16 PST 2012

The sleeves I use come .030" under standard bore, this is to give you
some room for error when setting up and doing the final bore. I usually
machine .010" off the piston and leave the bore.010 under to have a like
new fit. I never machine a piston untill I make sure the bore clears. If
I were to go .020 under I would hone the .010 out of the new sleeve,
little chance for error. .001 per inch clearance, .0055" in your case
should be OK. I don't think it's necessary to grind the pistons, they
usually machine very well, remember to remove the same amount all the
way up on each ring land. The top land is usually .020-.030" smaller
than the bore.
J.B. Castagnos