[SEL] Restoration Request for Information

John Wright jrwright at adam.com.au
Sun Jan 1 03:14:53 PST 2012

Hi to all on the list.

I have been a silent member a little over 12 months, and enjoy the
discussion on the list.

It has now come to the time where I am seeking assistance from the group on
a number of restoration issues.

Olds Type 4A 6hp circa 1904 (Approx as best as I can work out.)

Can anyone advise me of the clearance required between the bore and the
piston.

The bore is scored and needs to be sleeved likewise the piston will need to
be ground.

I intend to have the piston ground removing enough material to remove the
score marks.

Hopefully I will get away with removing about 0.02" (20 thou) of the piston.
That will make the piston 20 thou undersize.

The original size bore is 5.5"

Mostinger Auto Sparker

I am in the process of restoring a Motsinger Auto Sparker which I intend to
put on the Olds.

Unfortunately it needs a complete  electrical rebuild. (i.e. new coils and
the armature rewound) As well as a new governor being required.

Can anyone assist with coil winding information.

(i.e. number of turns, turns per layer, coil start and finish, direction of
winding and connection details)

Ronaldson & Tippet 3hp type N Hopper Cooled (one for the Oz boys)

What is the correct colour for the engine?  Is there a correct name for the
green?

Being tapered roller bearings on the crankshaft how is the end float set up?

Is there any pre load required on the bearings?

The cylinder needs to be sleeved due to rust pits in the bore.

The bore is 3.5" and the piston which is serviceable is 5 thou under 3.5"
i.e. 3.495"

Likewise as for the Olds what is the clearance require between the piston
and the cylinder.

Many Thanks

Regards

John W