[SEL] It's HOT out!

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Aug 13 11:03:18 PDT 2012

Rob,

As we're coming up on two major engine shows; Baraboo & Portland, this is
VERY timely advice.  I'd like to share some of the tips that Dave and
I have developed over the years of attending engine shows.

Rule 1:  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  We typically bring LARGE coolers
that will hold at least two cases of beer.  There is nothing worse than
running out and risking dehydration.

Rule 2:  Avoid Hyponatremia by drinking beer instead of water.  To insure
an adequate intake of sodium be sure to eat lots of chips (crisps for the
Brits & Ozzies).
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

Rule 3:  Minimize physical activity.  When going to a series of long
engine shows, bring your most reliable engines.  That way you do the
strenuous starting work early in the morning while it's cool.  The
engines then run all day and you can sit in the shade, hydrate, and
watch the pretty young women walking by.  Also plan to walk the sales
area during the morning when it's cooler.

With proper attention to these details, one can enjoy the engine shows
and not run the risks of under-hydration.

See ya,  Arnie