[SEL] Question

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Mon Apr 4 12:21:50 PDT 2011

Greetings List Members,

My name is Eric Walter and I have been lurking about the list for the past few months.
I am new to the stationary engine world although I have been intrigued by them for years.
My son and I started collecting John Deere tractors about a year ago and I recently acquired a John Deere Model E engine.
I have spent the last couple weeks trying to figure out how it needs set up to fire.
It is a sparkplug model without a magneto so I have been trying to find info on how a coil and battery might have been hooked up and utilized on it. So far I haven't had much luck.
If anyone can shed some light on it for me I would appreciate it. I have purchased an old "Buzz coil" and am going to build a box for a 6v lantern battery as it's power source. I understand the theory of operation and how it needs wired but what I cannot find is the actual mechanical components required and how to mount them to complete the firing circuit. I'm sure that I could jerry rig something up but I would like it to be in the correct fashion as it originally came if possible.

Thanks,

Eric