[SEL] Fairbanks Morse RR Motorcar Engine

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sat May 22 19:17:21 PDT 2010

---- Ralph Holt <rehot at msn.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> The problem is, these bearing shells are brass with what I presume to be a heavy overlay of babbitt on them. The babbitt is pretty much gone on one of the shells and the crank pin has been running on the brass.
>
> I am needing to get this babbitt put back on again.

Heat the bearing and wipe with a damp cloth, the babbitt should wipe clean. Use the same procedure to tin the bearings with acid core solder, agian wiping with a damp cloth. Install the bearings in the rod, use some aluminum shims in the split.  Drill a hole in an oak board to receive the piston pin, insert the piston pin in the small end of the rod, block the rod so it's paralell with the board. Center a piece of shaft 1/4" or so smaller than the crank pin in the big end, the shims should touch the shaft, rtv silicone can be used to seal the rod to the board, no need to wait for it to dry. Preheat the pin and the rod, pour full of babbitt. After it cools the bearing should split at the shims, remove the piece of shaft, reassemble. Have it bored to size if you don't have the equipment to do it.
J.B.