[SEL] OT Electric trailer brakes

frank skinner marinesurveys at msn.com
Tue May 19 16:28:45 PDT 2009

Lew;

If it's a NOLA, Katrina trailer, I'd bet good $$$ its either been in, near,

or under salt water,

Cut back the wires @ every joint, to see if bright copper

shows, if not salt may have wicked up in the ends,

same with an insulation scrape that bare.

Wires  in boats that have sunk in salt water, are pretty much

gonna give trouble later on.

What is usually done as soon as the boat is up is to wash the

connections with fresh water then a 50/50 solution of vinegar,

crop back the ends & re-crimp the connectors, spay corrosion inhibitor.

On trailers its often just better to rewire.

          Best of luck

        Franklin S. Skinner
    Marine Surveyor & Consultant
3428 Talon Court Wilmington NC 28409