[SEL] OT. Brake fluids

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Mon May 18 15:14:38 PDT 2009

Hi, Curt.  This is a subject over which I spend an abnormal amount of
time pondering.  In a nutshell, you can mix DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1
without adverse effects to the system.  They are all glycol based.

DOT 5.0 is silicone based, and you can not mix it with the others.
5.1 is several times more compressible than glycol based fluids and
can allow a spongy feel.

Eash spec contains a bunch of criteria, but he one of concern to most
people is boiling point.  The higher DOT specs have higher minimum
boiling points.  As you probably know, when your fluid boils, your
pedal goes to the floor and it gets weird very quickly.  Glycol based
fluids are hygroscopic.  As the fluid absorbs water, the boiling point
plummets.  The fluid even absorbs water as it sits on the shelf, so
the recommended shelf life is two years.

So, to answer your question, I don't think your sister will have a
problem, unless she races her Volkswagon or uses it for hauling heavy
loads down steep hills.  She's probably better off that the guys went
out and bought a new jug of fluid, rather than using a bottle that's
been sitting on the shelf for several years.

As a side note, I'm skeptical for the need for Castrol in European
cars.  More than likely, it's a rumor that was started by an
overzealous Castrol salesman, or by a manufacturer who recomended
Castrol in it's owner's manual.

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California