[SEL] O.T. O.T. Need Help On Water Flow Problem

paulmaples at sbcglobal.net paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 2 19:41:34 PDT 2009

Folks I need to apply equal amounts of water at 16 locations around a rectangular square made if 1/2" pvc pipe. (8 locations down each side and none on ends)

The length of each side of the rectangle is 111" and the ends are 27".

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/?action=view&current=diagram.jpg

One man told me to drill 1/4" holes at each of the 16 locations but I argued with him that the first few 1/4" holes located closest to the input of the water would get more water than the rest and he said it would not.....well they did. The first 4 holes on each side of the PVC closest to the inlet of the water shot out streams of water about 4" long and the last holes, the ones furthest away from the inlet of the water just dribbled water.

I am only drilling holes down the length of the rectangle and none on the ends. The PVC pipe size is 1/2" and as stated above the length of each side is 111" long.

I use a 5/8" water hose (it only has a 1/2" bore size) to bring water to the inlet of the rectangle. The bore size of the 1/2" pvc pipe is .485", almost 1/2".

The water flow rate is 5 gpm per minute coming out of the end of the 5/8 hose.

Can someone tell me how to plumb the rectangle in order to achieve an equal flow of water at each of the 16 drilled hole outlets. I would assume I will have to start out with small holes closest to the inlet and gradually get bigger towards the end opposite the inlet of the water. I just want the water to dribble out and not shoot out in streams and I need, as close as I can get it, equal amounts coming out at each of the 16 drilled locations.

At each of these 16 locations there is a tomato plant. I am trying to calculate how long to leave the water on in order to be able to supply 1" of water to each plant as the tomato plants require 1" of water weekly and more during the hot months.

I will appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks,

Paul