[SEL] OT: furnace vs generator

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Thu Jan 29 10:27:01 PST 2009

> Subject: Re: [SEL] OT: furnace vs generator
>

> try cleaning the heat sensor that that hangs in front of the flame, sounds
> like it is not detecting the flame and shuts off,  mine does that from time
> to time and I just take it out and clean it with some sand paper and it
> works fine then.  They get a coating over time on the surface of the sensor.
> Hope this helps
>
> Tom Winland
> Ohio> From: andyglines at hotmail.com> To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:09:22 -0500> Subject: [SEL] OT: furnace vs
> generator> > > Like many around here, my power is out. I have a gas furnace
> that runs on 110v and a 5000w generator. I have disconnected the furnace
> from the house and installed a 110v plug. When I plug the furnace in the
> small burner blower works and the large blower fan runs. The trouble is that
> the burner will light but goes out a few seconds later. Has anyone had this
> trouble? How did you fix it. > BTW: I use digest mode and will get your
> answers faster if you reply directly to me. > > Thanks>

It probably has an electronic board that controls burning, some of these don't like the "dirty" electrictiy  produced by a generator. After Hurricane Gustav I ran my house on a generator for 10 days, my new washing machine wouldn't perform correctly. I used an old one with a mechanical timer, no problem. If you can find a large inverter it may run on this, some don't like that current either, if you ca't fine one large enough you could hook the blower direct and let the inverter run the electronics.

J.B. Castagnos