[SEL] Back to the Briggs coil/Good news

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Feb 27 10:02:59 PST 2009

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:04:40 +0200
>From: Jerry Evans <jerrye at databak.co.za>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 59, Issue 25
> >Hi Jerry,
> >No, you did not. Its not right for the Maytag. The coil listed will work in
> >a Briggs built with points ignition but only after you have disconnected or
> >removed the old points and condenser.
><very big snip>

>Thanks Mark,
>          That is the answer I was asking for. It just means I've lost a lot
>of "Beer Money" but I pay for my mistakes myself <grin>.
>
>          In that case does anyone know the correct part number for the
>original Briggs coil that was used in their twins before anyone even
>thought of the solid state ignition?
>
>          I'll do a bit more research on this side.
>
>Keep the revs up (or down)
>Jerry Evans

Hi Guys,
         The good news is that the email I've been waiting for from Briggs
and Stratton USA has just arrived and they have confirmed that I did not
actually waste all that "beer money". It is the correct coil for my
intended use. Those 2 Maytags (and coils) will not end up as "boat anchors"
after all !!  :-)

         Here is an excerpt from their mail to me:
************
  Subject
Hello-I restore vintage engines and am trying to get confirmation on the
type...<snip>

My question is: Is part number 394988 the older type of coil that worked
with points or was it a solid state coil.
Thank you for your help.
Jerry Evans in South Africa

Discussion Thread
Response (Michael-B & S) 02/27/2009 10:29 AM
Thank you for inquiring about our products. 394988 is a coil used in
conjunction with points and condenser.
************

         Oh boy, my beer budget (and 2 Maytags) has/have been saved.
(Apologies to Dave!)

         Thanks again for all the replies to this thread from all you guys.
I did learn quite a few things.
         For all list members who, like me, are not experts on engines,
ignitions etc. The Briggs & Stratton website has a lot of very interesting
reading especially if you go to the spares section and then customer
support and F.A.Q. section. No really technical info but lots of "how
things work" articles written in simple non technical language. All Briggs
operators and parts manuals are also available for download but be sure to
have model numbers and such ready before you go there.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>