[SEL] Back to the Briggs coil

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Feb 26 00:49:10 PST 2009

Hi All,
         Many thanks for all the very useful responses to the original
post. I'm still absorbing everything, however, my original question has not
yet been answered :-)

         I asked if anyone could confirm that I had bought the correct coil
for this Maytag conversion. I DO NOT want to try to fit an electronic coil
(ignition) to the Maytag - I want to try fitting the older Briggs coil (for
points ign) to the Maytag.  The coils I have bought are part # 394988 which
as far as I've been able to ascertain is the correct coil for the older
Briggs with points ignition. That's what I was asking for confirmation on.

         What caused the uncertainty in my mind was this post from Mark:

>Jerry , That part number 394988 coil in the ad comes back as a solid state
>ignition coil not a points ignition coil which is preferrable for your
>use.    Mark

         I think that the site he got that info from (Tulsa Warehouse) is
what caused the confusion because they are offering the electronic version
but in small lettering below tout it as "a replacement for 394988 and a few
others". (The Briggs site mentions the same). We have established that
Briggs could be converted from "points ign" to solid state and that point
has been well covered in the posts.

         To recap, I'm NOT trying to convert a Maytag to solid state
ignition - I'm only asking for confirmation that Briggs & Stratton part#
394988 is the older type (not electronic) coil.

         Apologies for any confusion caused but if you read my original
mail you will see that this is all I was asking for.
         Many thanks.

         (The following is in answer to a few other posts  - I'll reply here:)
         Someone mentioned not to try testing this type of coil with one
wire disconnected - I'm aware of that but thanks for mentioning it anyway.
         Someone mentioned Bobs Small engine - been there but they have no
stock of the Eisemann coils and have not for some time.
         Someone else mentioned Bill Lopoulos-Magnetoparts. Also been there
but his Maytag coils are more than double the price of the Briggs coil and
I was also advised by a list member that there have been quite a few
problems with his coils. His page has some very interesting reading
here:<http://www.magnetoparts.com/maytag_mag.htm#maytag_coil_story>

         I decided to try the Briggs coil for the following reasons:
         1) Because of reports that it is a much "better made" coil than
the Maytag coil and more robust.
         2) Good reports from Smokstak forum re the conversion.
         3) Price related to the low value of our local currency. As an
example - the Briggs coils I have just acquired (thanks to Ron Haskell)
came to US$ 40.00 each (before shipping). When converted to our currency it
comes to ZAR 400.00 - I can buy 4 cases (24cans/case) of good beer here for
that price. The Maytag coil from Bill would cost me 8 1/2 cases of the same
beer. (remember also that this is PER COIL - I needed 2 coils and these
prices are before shipping)
(I don't drink much beer anymore - just using it as a common denominator :-)
         4) The unavailability of spare parts like this in South Africa. I
did not want to take a chance on spending the money for a Maytag
replacement coil and have it burn out after a few months and have to go
through the whole thing again. As I mentioned, I have been looking for
these coils for quite a while - actually close to 2 years. I do believe
that the Briggs is a better quality coil.

         O.K. That's all for now thanks for reading this far.

         Remember, the original question was:
         Is Briggs part # 394988 the correct coil for points type ignition?
(I think it is). On the box it is packed in it is described as "armature mag."

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>