[SEL] Back to the Briggs coil

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Thu Feb 26 08:37:28 PST 2009

Hi Jerry,
No, you did not. Its not right for the Maytag. The coil listed will work in
a Briggs built with points ignition but only after you have disconnected or
removed the old points and condenser. It will work in the Briggs I believe
because they have a much stronger magnetic field then a Maytag ever hoped
to have.  And the issue has also been brought up about field polarity.
  Like I've said before that old "version" coil the one actually built for
the points is not made any more. Only available used if you can find one or
old left over stock on a shelf somewhere.
  Now that said, it was suggested by someone that if you were to dig out
the electronic board or component out of the coil casing and eliminate it
the coil can then work like an old style with points. I can not confirm
this, this is just what I was told not to long ago.
As for Contacting Bobs Small Engine, Bill Lapolis, Marks Magnetos, Standard
Magneto, etc etc, If there was anyone anywhere successfully making or
supplying a coil in quantity to work in the Maytag Eisemann Twin,  I would
know about it. That could not be kept quiet for long. Bobs Small engine is
the only one I am aware of that is making them but only a handfull or so
thru the winter and the waiting list to get one from him can be up to a
couple years if you are lucky. And thats just for his customers. And he
turns away many more that never even get on the list simply because he can
never meet all the demand and he does not want to peave anyone by putting
them on a list where they might wait 5 years to get a coil.
  This is a problem that has been looked into by many for over 20 years.
Currently I am working on trying to get these made. Don't hold your breath!
This has been looked into before by many others. The fellow I am working
with now said he could make them (easy as pie) back in 2007 and hes still
working on it. I can't tell you how many people have said, hell I can get
them made, they ask for a junk coil to disect and I never hear from them
again or if I do its the same old story. This is a long process and most of
the time unsuccessful. Mainly because once a maker sees whats required to
make a Maytag Coil (time wise) they decide its too expensive to make them
one at a time.  Just about anyone contacted that could make them one at a
time is going to want $125-$150. each my cost no shipping or mark up yet,
if they would even decide to do it. Its a full 8 to 10 hours start to stop
on just one coil.  And to get them made on machines that do multiples at a
time you are begging a major manufacturer and are looking at getting
thousands of coils made at once. They will not set a machine up for any
less then 1000-2000 coils and then only if you stroke them very nicely.  We
simply do not have the $$$$ to do that. If we had say $50,000. to dump into
this project we might get a manufacturer to look into it then we might have
coils inside of 6 months. But we do not and thats where it stands.  Anyone
got a minimum $50000. maybe even up to $100000. to drop into a low return
lots of work project, GRINNNN.  To be honest with you If I had the money to
spare I would have done it, Just to get coils.   But oh well.

                                          TTYL,  Mark

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA

Frappi at wcoil.com
419.516.2996 Ver. Cell
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.