[SEL] Looking for small alternator.

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sun Aug 30 07:55:47 PDT 2009

-

> What I'm looking for is a small alternator that will make a maximum of 20 amps at 14 volts.  I'd prefer a unit that requires an external regulator (which I will design and build).  I will make a flat belt pulley to drive it from a flywheel of the engine at around 4,000 RPM.  Used is fine as long as it works.  Cheap is excellent, as this project is running way over budget.  :-)  What else is new??!!
>
> Whatcha got?  What can you suggest (make and model of something I can get the alternator off of at a junkyard.

ELden, the small alternators used on Kubotas and other equipment are usually pricey. All of the new autos use a smaller high output alternator, though I think they all have internal regulators. It shouldn't be a problem to disconnect  the regulator where it ties into the brushes and control it externally, most use a ground side control. The new alternators are usually protected from full fielding", where the regulator tries to get the max out of an idling engine and grounds the field, building up heat and destroying itself. If you need one I'm sure I can find something and send it to you, but you may find something locally for the price of shipping.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA