[SEL] piston rings

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Apr 28 20:06:41 PDT 2009

Jerry Evans wrote:
> At 06:00 PM 28/04/2009, you wrote:
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: "Arnie Fero" <fero_ah at city-net.com>
>> Subject: Re: [SEL] piston rings
>> Hi Jerry,
>> I've tried using cable ties in lieu of a ring compressor and did not have
>> success.
>> The rings just weren't compressed down below the surface of the
>> piston.  Hose clamps
>> have worked well however.
>> I also don't see being able to apply enough "squeeze" to a water or fuel
>> line with a
>> cable tie to make a difference.
>> If you've had success with both, GREAT.  That success may not be universal.
>> See ya,  Arnie
>
> Hi Arnie,
>          Thanks for the reply.
>          3 weeks ago I put new rings into a Victa lawn mower engine using
> cable ties. Because I was going to slip the cylinder over the piston which
> was attached to the crank I would not have been able to get my normal ring
> compressor out without a lot of difficulty. The cable ties I used were
> narrower than the rings and I placed the "buckle" opposite the ring gap and
> pulled it tight with a pair of pliers. It worked perfectly - "slipped in
> like a banana"!!
> (I cut each tie off with a Stanley knife as that ring was in so that the
> tie would not interfere with the next one.)
>          Re pipes, I did mention that it was a temporary solution and it
> does work although the pipe probably has to be a good fit in the first
> place- it would not be as good as a steel hose clamp at compressing a
> slightly oversize pipe.
> Keep well,
>
> Keep the revs up (or down)
> Jerry Evans
> Near Johannesburg in Sunny South Africa.
> Etched Brass Engine Plates made to order:
> <www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>

The tool you guys need to compress those rings is a ribbed ring
compressor. I have one in the oddball tools box. It has square
corrugations that interlock. You wrap it around the piston, interleave
the sections and tighten it down. It works like the standard sleeve type
but comes apart easily for engines that cannot use standard tools.

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter, EMT, Fire Police