[SEL] piston rings

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Apr 28 09:52:52 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 28/04/2009, you wrote:
>Message: 5
>Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Arnie Fero" <fero_ah at city-net.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] piston rings
>Hi Jerry,
>I've tried using cable ties in lieu of a ring compressor and did not have
>success.
>The rings just weren't compressed down below the surface of the
>piston.  Hose clamps
>have worked well however.
>I also don't see being able to apply enough "squeeze" to a water or fuel
>line with a
>cable tie to make a difference.
>If you've had success with both, GREAT.  That success may not be universal.
>See ya,  Arnie

Hi Arnie,
         Thanks for the reply.
         3 weeks ago I put new rings into a Victa lawn mower engine using
cable ties. Because I was going to slip the cylinder over the piston which
was attached to the crank I would not have been able to get my normal ring
compressor out without a lot of difficulty. The cable ties I used were
narrower than the rings and I placed the "buckle" opposite the ring gap and
pulled it tight with a pair of pliers. It worked perfectly - "slipped in
like a banana"!!
(I cut each tie off with a Stanley knife as that ring was in so that the
tie would not interfere with the next one.)
         Re pipes, I did mention that it was a temporary solution and it
does work although the pipe probably has to be a good fit in the first
place- it would not be as good as a steel hose clamp at compressing a
slightly oversize pipe.
Keep well,

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans