[SEL] Favorite portable shade

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Tue Apr 28 15:58:54 PDT 2009

This I will say first and most stridently, The best canopy in the
world will be destroyed if not properly anchored down. That said over
28 years of going to shows the canopies that are the shallow peak
silver tarp using the 3/4" EMT conduit for poles have in my opinion
shown the best of all overall through all kinds of weather. See the
link below for a picture of one. These properly anchored will survive
far and above more often then any other I have seen. These can be
gotten in all sizes, from  10X10 to whatever they make a tarp for.
Most commonly seen in the sixes 10X20 & 12X20 The size you get is up
to your needs. Make sure you buy the heavy duty silver with the
reinforced eyelets spaced about 20" apart. Get the longest rebar
stake you can find to serve as anchor for the post. 12" to 15" is the
common lengths but you can find them sometimes in 18" or make your
own length. These generally have a washer or a chain link welded to
them for the post to set on and the tie rope to latch to. And I
recommend that you get pet or dog tie screws to run in the ground
beside each post to run the tie down to for extra security in case of
a horrid storm. In your average to moderately severe storm with winds
up to 40-50 mph straight line wind the long rebar stakes will likely
serve well, soil type and condition has a big determining factor as
to how quick they may pull out. The style of canopy I mention is like
what's shown in this link. This is not an endorsement for this site
this is just a picture to represent what canopy I speak
about   http://www.championcanopies.com/classic.html    I see that
they only offer the classic in high peak now. (not pictured at this
link) , I do not recommend a high peak canopy. The high peak canopy
is more likely to have a problem in a high wind as the high sides of
the peak act more like a sail to catch the wind and shove a canopy
over. Seen that happen many times. The shallow peak allows the wind
to pass through more easily.
The 3/4" EMT conduit poles have the best flex before bend rate you
can get. 1" EMT and especially those white large diameter poles you
get from the big box retailers and others is more likely to kink
before it bows and will kink while a 3/4" only flexes. Flexibility is
the key. If it will not flex it will kink.  Myself I would recommend
the style of canopy pictured in the link in the 12X20 Size and get a
tarp with a valance for added coverage in a rain or late afternoon
sun. But your mileage may vary.  With a little practice one man can
set up and stake down a 12X20 with the 3/4" poles in 20 minutes. With
inexperienced help 30 or more.  15 min or less if the helper has one
like yours and is well versed in its assembly (Thank You BOB!) . If
your help is unfamiliar with them lord help you. GRINNN
As for the pop up and ez ups its not unusual to see them get torn
down in a rain. In my opinion they really are only safe for fare
weather. But hey its fun to see them afterwards. Sorry to any of you
who have lost one.
  Keep in mind the 12X20 I recommend can very easily be converted to
10X12  or the 10X20 to 10X10 by purchasing another tarp and not using
a section of the connectors and conduit.
  I leave mine set up outside all year round. Only problem was with
snow load. A heavy snow bowed some poles but they easily straightened
enough to reuse.
  Remember ANCHOR any Tent or Canopy Securely!! Or we will laugh as
its blown down or away!  Sorry its not hard to amuse us at an engine
show, GRINN.                           TTYL,    Mark

At 03:33 PM 4/28/2009, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>What is your favorite portable shade for your displays?  Anything that
>was a total waste of money?
>
>Ron Haskell
>rdhaskell at juno.com
>Riverside, California USA

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA

Frappi at wcoil.com / 419.358.5206  Home / 419.516.2996 Ver. Cell.
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.
Check out the Maytag Collectors Club web site   www.Maytagclub.com