[SEL] Favorite portable shade

Steve Barr stevebarr at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 28 15:07:34 PDT 2009

Well....

I have the best of all worlds....It depends on what event I am going to and how long I will be there.

For a 1 day show, I use a 10x10 quick shade (ezup type).  I usually replace it every other year (sometimes 3 years)...as I pick them up for sale for $40-50.  The first Ezup (the original brand name) I had lasted 2 years due to a family member using it and leaving it up during a heavy rain storm...It collected water and dumped the frame into many broken pieces and ripping the top severely.

For 2 Day shows, I use either the 10x10 quickshade or a piece together tent (we have tops for either 10x10 or 10x20).

Any show more than 2 days we normally put up the piece together pipe tent with siver top....  we did cut the 10' lenghts down to 5' (for easier transport) and use a coupler to put them together.

In high wind and rain, nothing will beat the silver topped pipe units (properly anchored of course).  Just make sure that you get the top that wraps over the side by 6" so you can put sides up if needed...I have 4 from my orginal ezup that I can use + other tarps as needed.

If you are just looking for shade and not rain protection, anything from the quickshade to the ezup will work fine...just depends on how much you want to spend.  For Me, I use the cheaper ones on sale...I did get one with a tarp fabric top roof that bearly lasted 1.5 years..

Steve