[SEL] piston rings

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Apr 27 09:45:58 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 27/04/2009, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:24:09 -0400
>From: "Ed stoller" <edstoller at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] piston rings
>I have used hose clamps for small pistons. You might be able to put two hose
>clamps together for the 5 inch.
>Ed Stoller

Hi Guys,
          I do understand that this thread is concerned with getting the
rings to the correct grooves but to expand on Ed's answer above:
         Another good tip when you do not have a ring compressor or yours
is the wrong size is to use "cable ties":
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie>
         They work great when you've got nothing else and are really cheap.
They slip off easily due to being made of nylon and when the piston is in
place you just cut them off with sidecutters. You can also join a few
together if needs be but they are so cheap that it's a good idea keep a few
different sizes in stock.

         They also make great temporary replacements for hose clamps on
water and fuel lines.
         I hope it's useful tip.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans