[SEL] Old vehicle questions. OT

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Fri Nov 14 06:36:04 PST 2008

Gentlemen,
Engines have been on hold a while as we've continued to work on Devin's
project vehicle. We are currently assembling the front I-beam axle and
have a couple of questions for the experts out there.

1) When setting toe in, where is the dimension taken from? At the OD of
the tire? Or at the brake drum/caliper OD? ISTR most toe in specs are a
1/16" to a 1/8". Where this is measured makes a HUGE difference in
resulting angle between the wheels.

2) We are in need of dust caps to go on the axle ends. NAPA turned up
nothing. These caps fit OVER the hubs, not inside like more modern
vehicles. The Hub measures 2 3/8" diameter and the caps need to be about 1
5/8" deep. Anyone know of a source?

If helpful, a few photos of the front axle can be seen at the bottom of
this page:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/WillyOverlandRestoration/FrontAxleIbeamRebuild/Thumbnails.html>

The entire project is being documented here: LOTS of photos.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/WillyOverlandRestoration/Thumbnails.html>

Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC