[SEL] Old vehicle questions. OT

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Nov 14 06:50:22 PST 2008

> 1) When setting toe in, where is the dimension taken from? At the OD of
> the tire? Or at the brake drum/caliper OD? ISTR most toe in specs are a
> 1/16" to a 1/8". Where this is measured makes a HUGE difference in
> resulting angle between the wheels.

Mesure the toe at the outside of the tire, it's best to scribe the tire and measure from the scribe line, this compensates for runout. Jack up the wheel, chalk the tire, spin it, and hold a pointed tool against it, resting it on a block or jack stand. Measure from line to line in the front and back of the tires.

> 2) We are in need of dust caps to go on the axle ends. NAPA turned up
> nothing. These caps fit OVER the hubs, not inside like more modern
> vehicles. The Hub measures 2 3/8" diameter and the caps need to be about 1
> 5/8" deep. Anyone know of a source?

Aluminum and a lathe, get creative.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA.