[SEL] "Vincent Industrial Power" Engine.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Nov 13 14:22:24 PST 2008

Hi Guys,
         I've been a bit quiet on the lists laltely. I hope you are all well.

          I went on an engine hunt 3 weeks ago with a few friends. We
brought some nice stuff back (webpage will follow one of these days!).

         The one I want to discuss does not fall under the "nice stuff
category" for these 2 lists anyway. It is not a "hit 'n miss" engine - it
is not even a very old engine (1955) but I'd like to discuss it.

         I got (amongst others) a small "Vincent Industrial Power" engine
and after a little work on the carburettor it is now running. Research on
the net has provided the following information:

         1) Produced by the same company that made the "VINCENT"
motorcycles. Anyone interested in motorcycles will respect this very
revered name.
         2)  This "engine" was made in 1955 and there are not many
survivors (to my knowledge) ! It was produced by the Vincent company when
they realised that they were in financial difficulties as a "possible"
"broadening of the base" to try to save the company.
         3) it is a very small (I think mine is 70 cc's) 2 stroke engine
and it makes a lot more noise than a Maytag and it smokes a lot as well but
I'll probably be able to control this once I learn more about it.
         4) It was produced as a "power unit" for lawnmowers, compressors,
gensets or anything else needing a small "power plant".

         I'd like to share some thoughts on this engine but would like to
first apologise to our British friends on these lists, as, what I have to
say, may not be to their liking.

         My comments:
         a) Thank goodness that the Japanese (Honda, Suzuki et al) did not
copy this engine.
         b) I'm so glad that I never bought a machine (lawnmower or
sumsuchlike) that was powered by one of these.
         c) It's just like a "British Motor bike" - very temperamental
(maybe that is why we loved them - oil leaks and all). I owned a 650cc
Triumph Thunderbird. (approx 1964). I could start mine "first kick" but
could never start my mates bike and he could never start mine. They were
each individual and you had to know "just where" to hold the throttle and
"just where" to have the kick start pedal and just how much to "tickle" the
carburettor. Magic, they were !!

         d) I'm learning how to start the "Vincent" but it does not behave
the same way each time! Not like a modern (Japanese) two stroke - open the
fuel and pull the cord!. No, the "Vincent" is typical of the old British
bikes - you gotta know "just" how to do it. I've started it every night for
about the last 7 days and each time I've battled to find it's "happy
medium". Great is it not! - isn't that what this damn hobby (sickness) is
all about?

         e) I do love this little engine if only because of it's historical
significance (I put it down to "one of those that never made the grade").
It is a badly designed, "horrible","noisy", "smoky" little engine, designed
in a hurry with no thought given to (later) maintenance, but, they are all
important because they were all part of the evolution of the modern "small
engine".

         That's my "bit". Sorry that it was not about something really
glamorous but it does have a "spark plug'
and it does work on the "internal combustion principle".

         ( I also know that there are other "lists" and "forums" more
concerned with this type of engine - but I do not belong to any of them -
so you guys are "it".)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>