[SEL] Wanted: Pair of old Panel Meters for aSearchlightGenerator

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:45:39 PST 2008

On 13/11/2008, Elden DuRand <edurand at mchsi.com> wrote:
> Peter from OZ (So as to differentiate between you and the Limey Peter):

Elden & Pete & others:

We have had an enormous amount of feedback from folks, not just on the engine lists but from other sources that we have asked, in the UK and overseas.

The control panel is here:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/PetterData/PU817.htm
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/PetterData/PU811.htm

The whole menu page for the PU8 genny is here:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/PetterData/PetterPU8Menu1.htm

The water that got into the meters was above the level of both movements, and the aluminium parts of one, including the actual meter needle has corroded away. The ammeter is slightly better, but only just. We may be able to clean it in an untrasonic cleaner, but my feeling is that it is going to be scrap. We have salvaged both cases, glasses and scales, although the scales will need refurbishing or scanning and then repainting/reprinting.

Yes, we would love to be able to keep it looking original, so we are not going to fit a pair of DIN meters! but practicalities mean that we have to accept a little bit og a change if we are to get it running with all metering working.

We have had two very good offers, one from the USA and one from the UK. We have replied to both and will wait and see what turns up. All costs would be met in any case, but it's more a problem of finding something than paying for it!

The rest of the gear is pretty bullet-proof, all big heavy switches and controls. The greasers for the dynamo bearings were clean as a whistle with no signs of any grease, so we have filled them twice and screwed down to get the grease through the bearings.

The fuel pipes are rotten under the braided exterior and the oil pressure indicator button leaks oil, but it runs and most of the issues are relatively minor. Modern materials like PTFE for the fuel tap seals and neoprene for fuel hoses make life a LOT easier!

More soon,

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes