[SEL] United engine questions

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 19:55:23 PST 2008

Thanks for the reply and the photos, Larry. The mixer on your engine is identical to mine, including the valve for priming. I had feared that it was a "non-oem" modification.
My ignitor has the earlier style trip finger on it, and I guess I will install the magneto. I always liked the looks of those mags.
I am interested in your fuel tank. Do you think it is original, and could you give me the dimensions for it?
Sometimes when I see old repairs, like the one on your governor detent, it really makes me wonder just how they managed to break it like that. I have a little Gilson air cooled that is busted up worse than your United. Mine even has cracks in both flywheel hubs where they drove the keys in too hard. I hope to start fixing it up when I get done with the United.
Thanks again,
Joe
Joe Prindle
Baraboo, WI USA
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." Spike Milligan