[SEL] Junkers 2HK65 (now loco engines)

Jim Kirkes jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Sun May 25 15:50:36 PDT 2008

Hi Elden,

No, I don't think you have been all wrong.  Some railroads
have favored GE and some EMD.  The big 6 buy a lot of both
with Union Pacific ordering 1000 4000 HP diesels from EMD.
In spite of that GE out sells EMD by a wide margin. EMD
still makes two cycle diesels and they do meet current
emision standards. The two cycle engines have some
advantages in that they load faster.  Ttheir big draw back
is that they are 16 cyl engines and the GE engines are 12
cylinder so the 16 cyl overhaul cost is considerably more.
Maybe not a big deal for one engine but if you have a couple
of thousand it stacks up fast.  Fuel economy has been a big
issue for a long time and EMD has managed to stay in there
with the two cycle design.

BTW the latest development in loco design is the "gen set"
loco which are becoming popular for yard use.  The loco has
3 or 4 700 HP diesels,  they come on and off as the load
changes and stop completely if not used for 10 minutes or
so.  The fuel saving is claimed to be 60% over a one diesel
loco.
This big saving comes because most diesels in yard service
do not operate at full power much of the time.  At full
power for long hauls the single engine is the better
arrangement.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, California U.S.A.