[SEL] Harry's / SEL attachments

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Jun 2 10:05:08 PDT 2008

"rural" doesn't mean farm, either.
We're "rural Polk County" and because we are over 3 miles from a switch,
no DSL, and cable isn't out here yet(shock due to the high-dollar homes
going in around here and all the development) we had to spring for
satellite.
Well, it's a compromise at best and costs some real $$ which most folks
just can't do. In fact, we may have to seriously reconsider within the 30
day MBG period. 300 for equipment AFTER rebate, and 60 bucks a month for
speeds that DSL beats hands-down. Plus if there's rain near, you lose it.

My son in Korea tells me that the U.S. is behind much of the world in
"connectivity" and that's a fact based on studies I've seen.
So these webmasters that seem to believe everyone should or does have
several T3 lines into their homes, or that since THEY have 50 meg fiber
everyone else must, too and are to arrogant to see beyond the ends of
their noses are hurting the main U.S. web user.
Most web masters are a bit naive and arrogant - doubt it? Look at the
number of unoptimized photos, and flash based web sites (flash can be a
serious security risk on Windows not to mention a processor load)
They are computer people, not people people, so know little about the real
world outside of their little cubical.
Some pages on a few of the major network sites - CBS, NBC, etc,I found
totally unusable on dial-up. I simply could not get a page to load inside
of 2 or 3 minutes, some never did fully.

So IMO, use the simple solution - use a photo host and post a link.

Bill