[SEL] white metal for bearings (Babbitt)

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Tue Jul 8 19:27:08 PDT 2008

Hi All
I know we have been through this before, but I just want to clarify a few
points.

1. What is the tolerance between the crankshaft and the bearing ID. The
crankshaft is 1 1/2" dia. and the bearing is about 4 1/2" long. How many
thou. do I allow.?
2.  The oil groove in the bearing, should it be on top of the bearing where
the oil comes through and is there a need for one on the bottom. The
bearings I took out of my vertical R&V also have a groove around the end, I
guess to hold the oil before it finally comes out, if it does. Would you try
and direct oil that comes to the bottom back into the engine via a spiral
directional groove at the bottom of the bearing. You might say, who cares it
will not be run that often, but it is an exercise for me in machining also.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/rv-engines/my_main_bearings.htm
There will eventually be a complete restoration guide for the vertical R&V
when I finally think of the format I want to use at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/rv-engines/my_vertical_restoration.htm

The email reply below was from a bearing company in Victoria, Oz, I bit
pricy on their metal or am I out of touch $$$$?

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar
Australia