[SEL] Unfinished projects

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Mon Jan 28 10:34:40 PST 2008

I'm sure we all have some unfinished projects.

I am not talking about current projects you're working on, but projects
you started years ago and haven't worked on in at least a year or more.
I am also not talking about project engines you've bought and haven't
started work on.  I'm interested in hearing what engine projects you've
started and then for various reasons they have sat for over a year or
more without any further work.

Although I've many unfinished projects, I really only have a couple
engine projects where I started work on the engine and then stopped
working on it.

I have an early 3hp F-M Z engine.  It was complete when I got it and
probably would have run with a little tinkering around with it.
However, I took it apart and proceeded to clean and paint parts.  It is
still apart and it has probably been at least 8 years or more since I
did anything with it.  Although I'm not a great fan of 3hp Z engines,
this one is kind of unique as it has an aftermarket EK Wico conversion
to replace the plugoscillator.  I suppose this engine got pushed to the
side as to many other things were more interesting.

My other unfinished project is the 5hp flutted hopper Aermotor.  At
least it is still in my shop and in a location where it should be worked
on, but I've found it hard to find time to work on it as well.
Basically just needs the fuel system hooked up and a few loose parts
bolted back on.  I keep telling myself it would only take a few days of
work to get it running, but it still sits there unfinished.

I've got a few other non-running engines that need a piece or two fixed
or replaced, but I'm not even counting them.

I think part of the problem is that every year I get something else
which gets my attention and time, and the old projects just sit.

Anyone else out there with the same problem?