[SEL] Didn't want to sell

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 08:28:32 PST 2008

No, but I wish they had. 8>))

However,,,, A couple years ago at an engine show I saw a guy that was selling some stuff and displaying other stuff,,,,
He had a very nice Clipper flat belt lacer sitting on top of two boxes and one crate.
I had been wanting one for several years so I asked him if it was for sale.

He said, "No, But if I was going to sell it, that would be an expensive one. There are three boxes of lacing there with it.  I would have to ask fifty dollars for all that."

Of course he hardly got the words out of his mouth before I was holding out a $50.00 bill and saying I'd take it.  8>))

He stopped and I could see his wheels turning,,,,  I held it out a little further and when he reached out and took it I had a hard time keeping from jumping in the air.  The lacing was worth more than I paid for the whole thing.
Turned out there even was a smaller Clipper lacer in there that you use by clamping it in a vise.

Then he told me he only brought that to the show because someone had asked him to lace a belt for them.  Just then that very guy walked up with a nice little 4" belt that needed lacing.
I was nice enough to loan Joe my new Clipper belt lacer. 8>))
Joe told me he still had another one at home.

Alan Bowen
Williamsburg, Michigan

"Best, George" <George_Best at adp.com> wrote: Years ago there were a couple of tractor collectors that I knew.  The
one collector had some tractors that today would be very expensive ones
to buy and were still pretty valuable when this story took place.

The second collector asked the first one if he'd sell him a couple of
the tractors.

The first collector didn't really want to sell so he said, "Sure, I'll
sell them for $xx,xxxx!" which was a lot more than he thought anyone
would pay.

To his amazement, the second collector whipped out his checkbook and
bought them!

I was hoping that $20k was outrageous enough that even with the Royster
oil fortune, you wouldn't take me up on my offer ;-)

So here's a question for the group to answer:

Have you ever offered something you didn't want to sell for a very high
price and had the buyer accept your price?

George