[SEL] was a "rant", now lightening

Fred Southwell fsouthwell at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 12 08:01:51 PST 2008

Many years ago I was called to a house that had a lightning strike. The TV
wouldn't work even though it had been unplugged. As it turned out the
lightning hadn't caused the TV problem but what caught my eye was a brown
mark across the white Chinese carpet.
What had happened was that the TV aerial cable had been unplugged and left
laying on the floor. Fine you might think but across the other side of the
room was a metal standard lamp that was still plugged in. Lightning hit the
aerial and found its way across and through the carpet to the standard lamp.
Result, one very expensive carpet cut across its diagonal!

Fred

On 12/01/2008, Tony & Jackie <kimmell at verizon.net> wrote:

> It's amazing what lightning can do.  I was driving down I-55 in the
> semi during a bad lightning storm a few days ago, when the car in
> front of me got struck by a lightning bolt!  Threw sparks all over
> the place and up onto the hood of my truck.  The lightning had burned
> a hole in the roof and caught the headliner on fire which we put out
> with my fire extinguisher.  Of course the car was toasted and
> wouldn't start so I let them call for help on my cell phone before
> taking off.  Wierd stuff...
>
> -Tony

Fred. Nr Brighton U.K.
See all my pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/g6zru