[SEL] Spam> was a "rant", now lightening

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Jan 11 18:23:41 PST 2008

Jerry, if it damaged underground pipes it's a wonder you had anything left to your electronics. It's strange the way lightening picks and chooses. I had a GMC Envoy in the shop a while back, struck by lightening. It went in through an antenna on the side glass, etched a track up to the roof and burnt a spot outside of the close hanger hook. The computer system was dead among other things. All of the modules communicate with each other, if one shorts it kills the system. I separated the information buss line and found the instrument cluster shorted. Once I got that working the diagnostics helped find two of the six coils shorted, one of the ABS wheel sensors, the two rear power window switches, one of the servo motors for the AC, and a starter relay. None of these things seemed to be in a path, makes you wonder what goes on in an event like this. I've had two telephones in the same locationin my home fried by lightening, the others were not touched.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA