[SEL] Curious

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Jan 3 15:35:57 PST 2008

You mention some things that we've covered in our theamcforum.com
SPAMMING is prevented by the software. Members MUST use a valid email
address and confirm by clicking a link. The register, CAPTCHA is used to
prevent automation, they can't automatically join and create bogus users.
We can restrict access or ban based on several criteria.
I am the administrator and hold all the keys, however, I've written
documentation that prevents what's happened to a couple of AMC forums in the
past - the admin vanishes and so does the forum. I've documented everything,
and given that info to the other 5 mods, all passwords, etc. the whole
shooting match is backed up every night. I also do local backups of the
forum sofware AND the sql database, burn it to CD and give copies to the
others.
Even if the ISP goes away, we can get back in business in hours.
The software is secure (we pay, we don't use FREEWARE)
SQL makes it faster than most text file based forums, and the software is
written to make minimal SQL requests, and closes the connection quickly.
This forum will not disappear, we got together and formed a sort of loose
"club" to prevent that. If I die tonight, it might take a few hours for them
to sort out certain "how do we" but they CAN continue. If the ISP loses a
server, the stuff is simply restored elsewhere. MS servers and SQL database
means we pay money, but donations from a few key AMC folks has it covered.
(there are enough AMC addicts to ensure this will continue)
The load is pretty well distributed and there are enough of us, and to a
large extent, the caliber of folks we have makes it somewhat self-policing.
We've been told "this is the best AMC forum yet" and "this forum is so
helpful and friendly" and "I actually feel at home here for the first time
on any forum".
We have our bases covered SO well, we have the coveted documents of an AMC
historian, Tom Benvie. The forum I put up and we jointly mod and maintain is
the first one he's ever felt comfortable enough with to post his rare and
unique documents and photos.
There also exists software to enable database conversion for this forum
software we use. SQL is pretty widely used and it can even be ported to
MYSQL fairly easily.
Forums can and do work with the right forumula and the right people. The
real trick is to let the personality of the forum be a mix of the admin,
mods and members without any one overwhelming the others.

But granted, they are NOT right for everyone! Never will be............

Bill