[SEL] Curious

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Thu Jan 3 15:20:03 PST 2008

Hi George,
I find that forums are best to visit "after" and search for answers.
When they're well run and well maintained the entire forum becomes a FAQ
that you can mine for valuable information. There is little or no
encouragement to post on them or do a running read unless you're very
interested in the subject. This is partly because they're slow. With an
email list its all there, sitting on my PC whenever I care to read - I
run at the speed that my PC will give me the messages. With web forums I
have to wait for the pages to load -. No, I'm not without broadband -
but even with broadband pages are still "slow" - guess I'm spoilt - why
would I want to wait for 4 seconds when I can read email with 0 seconds
wait time?

Another down side is that forums often vanish without warning. So far
the SEL (and other lists I'm a member of have demonstrated their
longevity). With a list, if one person can no longer run the service
then another can take over almost seemlessly (e.g. Brice handing the SEL
over to Spencer all those years ago) - this is much harder with a forum.
Unless you both run the same base kernel (or OS version for windows
people), same database, same version of PHP (or other web language of
choice e.g. ASP.net), same version of the forum software, etc, etc, etc
then it is damn near impossible to back up one forum database and bring
it up on another server.

This is the reason I've never put forum software on Steam & Engine
(www.steamengine.com.au) - I've been tempted many times and actually
have forum software on the test machine to see how it works - but I've
always resisted turning it on because I think the ATIS Steam list and
the COALS list that I host adequately handle the need.

Forums must be actively managed by one or a small group of
administrators. Email lists are self governing with anyone able to step
up to the plate and accept the role of policeman on those few occasions
when it is necessary to do so. Forum admins can (and often do) go power
mad which just upsets people and loses the spirit of community that
takes much time to build and often cannot be rebuilt.

Forums can also be comment spammed by unscrupulous people either seeking
to destroy the forum (disgruntled member) or people jamming it full of
advertising and phishing scams. These messages have to be managed and
deleted. This can turn into a lot of work for an individual to handle.
This is the reason I turned off the guestbooks on my site. Yes, there
are software ways to block these posts, but they always find a way
around your block. It is hard to stay one step ahead. My current
incarnation of the Steam & Engine databases takes the user's update and
sends it to me. If I think the update is worth it then I manually
approve it for publication. This means I get about 2,000 messages per
day for rubbish updates. I lose a LOT of proper updates as it is
difficult to find them in the spam chaff.

Regards
Paul