[SEL] Curious

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Thu Jan 3 16:32:10 PST 2008

Hi Bill,
Your team is a rare one mate! Well done on such forward thinking - your
forum will probably succeed long term partly because you have a limited
and dedicated audience and because you are running it well. If all forum
sites had the leadership that you discuss then they would all do better.
Typically successful sites that I've used or been involved with are
those that are commercially managed with people paid to do the
moderation. They don't have a political need to one-up the next guy and
resist the formation of cliques.

Do you allow hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc email addresses? If you do, then
your verification is only as good as their verification (which is
negligable). If you only allow a real reverse-lookup domain with a valid
MX and a valid email MTA then you're up there with a chance, otherwise
you have a little false security there. Not much that you can do but
keep mindful of what is being posted. CAPTCHA is a great tool, but it
has been broken. Each time it is broken the suppliers of the tool insert
some new line here or there to trick the OCR (optical character
recognition) so make sure you keep your CAPTCHA software up to date. Of
course for someone to break your particular site there has to be some
incentive - if your messages are only visible to members then they'll
stop - if what they post is automatically visible to the general public
then they'll abuse and post spam.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with using freeware - it is
often better debugged than the commercial offerings (there is also an
amazing amount of unmaintained junk). But that is an argument for
another list. Whatever fits the purpose best and is within the reach of
the people with the need is the best solution. In your case this is paid
software on a paid site. Nothing wrong with that choice at all.

I'd be happy to discuss site security with your further off list if you
like - I've had quite a bit to do with it and may be helpful. I think
you've covered it fairly well from what you say about your site, but the
general wording does concern me that you think you've done what you need
to do. The main key is to remain vigilent.

Regards
Paul