[SEL] Curious

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 11:58:48 PST 2008

On 03/01/2008, Arnie Fero <fero_ah at city-net.com> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> My two cents worth is that those who prefer the web-thread-based style
> primarily post on Harry's.  Those who prefer the email style post on SEL
> or Old Engine.  SOME even prefer the British newsgroup style.  8-))
> And some even post to all of 'em (at least from time to time).

Perhaps to answer both posts:

When there was only dial-up access, the Bulletin Boards probably
accounted for a large percentage of this sort of traffic (on different
subjects) and like many of the older folks here, I spent a lot of time
on them.

Since the web explosion in the past 8-10 years and with the advent of
24-hour broadband access, there are possibly too many forums now, and
the attendances are being diluted.

I am involved with Smokstak and Oldengine, but I'd be happy to see the
ATIS forum flourish, Spencer has put a lot of time onto the hobby on
our behalf and deserves to see it run.

The Usenet newsgroups are a peculiarity to Usenet, not just the UK,
and there are over 100,000 of them now. You also have the various
groups organised by Yahoo and Google.

I find, like Arnie, that half a dozen is probably as much as you can
pay any great attention to and keep track of the posts and people, the
others are just occasionally visited.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes