[SEL] Curious

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Jan 3 11:34:35 PST 2008

Hi George,

My two cents worth is that those who prefer the web-thread-based style
primarily post on Harry's.  Those who prefer the email style post on SEL
or Old Engine.  SOME even prefer the British newsgroup style.  8-))
And some even post to all of 'em (at least from time to time).

I think the main difference is that with the web-based you have to go to
the info and search it.  With the email version, it comes to you in an
undifferentiated flow, made even worse by the fact that folks rarely
change the subject lines.

I visit a number of the web-based forums on a number of topics; Harry's
for engines and a bunch of others that are firearms related.  I usually
scroll through the list of threads and only open a couple that might
interest me.  I miss a lot that way and I also rarely develop any feel for
who the characters are on that forum.  For that reason, I do like the
email versions.  To each his own I think.

I really don't see any unique value in adding a web-based service to ATIS.
Harry's seems to be perfectly adequate in that regard.

See ya,  Arnie