[SEL] Sticking lead to cast iron

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Feb 29 05:48:44 PST 2008

Well Curt and gang,,,time to spill my gutz.  This is a crank off the Wachs
steam engine.  The steam list is all but dead with only a few posts a year.

  I didn't get a before picture but with a little imagination you'll get my
point.  Hard to see but there's actually two studs w/nuts holding the
counterweight on.  This picture should tell it all.  The nuts were leaded in
plus an addtional layer which covered the end of the counterweight...I would
swag an eighth inch or so.

  Thanks again for all the replies and will do some experimenting and look
for some copper Sulf8 or Sulph8...lol.

Here's the pix and you can do previous and next photo:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2425581950039077051oAzvik

  It could very well be babbitt..will try the ring test.  I would imagine
the whatever was used to add weight for balancing and not lock the nuts.

Take Care,
RickinMt.