[SEL] Sticking lead to cast iron

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Thu Feb 28 08:21:57 PST 2008

> Ok great Peter.  I think we've seen both hydrochloric and suphuric acid
> used
> here.  I would imagine the intent is to clean and leave a nice etched
> surface.  Now I need to find the Copper Sulfate.
> Rick

 Rick,
If you don't find any on your side of the great plains let me know as that
is one of the chemical we make over in skunk works (the chemcical plant).
I could send you some.
FWIW I had good luck tinning and bonding the Babbitt to cast parts using
the tinning flux. Instead of lead to hold your weights in place could you
use the Babbitt tinning flux and just pour Babbitt instead?
I'm curious, why the need to assure tinning? Doesn't the white metal
simply occupy space to lock the parts together taking advantage of
negative draft?
Certainly the OEM didn't rely on tinning to assure the parts stayed together?
You've got my curiosity going on this. Could you post a few pictures?
Curt Holland