[SEL] Compressed Air Car? -- OT

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Feb 14 09:24:33 PST 2008

Tom Smith wrote:
> I didn't read the link in super detail (my BS alarm also went into
> overdrive) but it didn't say how far the car would go on a single
> charge of air (maybe 25' if it was level ground??).
>
> The other thing that caught my attention was the filling station
> looking hose. To have any chance at all to get enough air pressure for
> the kind of energy needed would require very high pressure, not a
> hundred PSI or whatever might be available to pump up a tire. I know
> the equipment required to fill my scuba tank to 3000 PSI is more
> robust than a rubber hose. It would probably require pressures like
> that to even have a chance.
>
> I'm having a problem with all this. There are very few free rides in
> this world and a lot of this latest "green technology" ain't all it's
> cracked up to be.

Our SCBA tank refill stations use what is basically VERY clean hydraulic
hose for filling our air bottles. I wouldn't want to be driving around
with an air tank with that kind of pressure though. One small oops with
that tank and you would be picking up pieces for a while....

--
Steve W.
Firefighter,EMT,Fire Police