[SEL] Still in pieces after all these years

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Mon Dec 15 19:56:29 PST 2008

There is an advantage to having the engines in pieces; they take up a lot
less floor space in the shop when all their pieces are neatly tucked away on
the shelves.

I defiantly fall into the unfinished engine bucket; lets see there is a 1.5
Alamo in pieces. I have done lots of work on it but still have a ways to go.

Then there is the 1933 Deutz MAH diesel this is also one with lots of
machine work complete but still a lot more to do. There is a  Fairmont RR
engine in about the same stage as the other two and last but not least the
3hp Falk. I have put literally hundreds of hours into the Falk. Machining
parts making patterns etc. Thanks to curt Holland for all the help with the
patterns and Rick Rowlands for doing the castings.

I need to machine all the bits for the ignitor, hone the bore, finish
machine the new piston and cut the ring grooves, make new main and rod
bearings, Case harden the new wrist pin and grind to size... Man I still
have a bunch of work to do.

Every time I think that I'm getting close I realize how much more there is
to do.

There was also a 3hp Fairbanks Z but I sold it to a friend who finished it
up and it is now a running engine.

I'm hoping to get some work done on the Falk this winter we'll se how that
goes.

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho