[SEL] Still in pieces after all these years

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Mon Dec 15 13:54:19 PST 2008

Here's another topic.

What engine(s) do you still have in pieces?  Basically, these are
engines that you took apart to restore and then got sidetracked on other
projects and still haven't gotten the engine back together.

I've got 3 such engines.

This year I took apart my 1910 Ceres vertical engine to replace the
wrist pin and clean it up.  It is still apart although I do have a new
wrist pin for it.  This was a runner until I took it apart ;-)

About 5 years ago I started working on a 5hp flutted hopper Aermotor.
It is still sitting in the shop with nothing done to it the last several
years.  Ted Brookover restored the ignitor and Webster for me on that
engine.  I thought after I had the mag done, it wouldn't take long to
finish the engine, but it still sits.

Probably close to 8 years ago I took a nice 3hp F-M Z apart to paint it.
I got it painted, but have never put it back together.  Haven't touched
it in many years, except to move it.  It would be a nice engine as it is
a very early plug oscillator engine with an aftermarket Wico EK
conversion.  Only engine I've seen with the Wico replacement bracket
that replaces the plug oscillator.

No really good excuses for not completing these engines except I'm much
better at taking things apart than putting them together.  Seems like
something more interesting to do always seems to come up ;-)

George