[SEL] Runners vs Non-runners

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Dec 15 12:57:36 PST 2008

Hi All,
         Once again I'm a bit late getting into this thread. Great thread
George-thanks.

         I feel quite ashamed of my endeavors in this field. On a scale of
"one to ten" Reg would be a 10 and I'd be a  minus 4.

         I have about (??) 12 engines restored and  another 4 that I bought
as "restored engines" but they are standing out in the shed (as unrestored)
because the so called "restorations" were not up to my standard (sorry
Guys, I'm really not trying to be "big headed" here - they are all running
- but the "finish is just not up to the standard that I prefer and they
need to be taken off the railway sleepers and put onto better trolleys with
better wheels).

         Then I have 4 engines that have been "restored to working
condition" but I have not had the time to paint them or mount them on
trolley's.

         I then have another possibly 10 or 12 engines that would run with
just a little work - ie., they are complete and "loose". They just need
some time and a little love to get them going. I have not had this time in
the last year or so either.

         Then I have 5 engines (does Maytag count ??) in various stages of
restoration just waiting for me to sort out and order parts. These range
from Maytag Twins to the 12H.P. Witte CD diesel.

         Then, and here comes the crunch, I have another 30 to 40 engines
ranging from scrap iron to "maybe I will get to them one day" (although I
seriously doubt this).
         I think that these engines are amongst the most important in my
collection and that is because I've saved then from the
"scrappie"       and, by the same token, from that big melting pot in
China. They are safe and all stored under cover  and they do not owe me a
cent.  Be they "parts engines" or whatever - they are safe and quite happy
where they are. They are also not "rare" engines, just common old engines
(Lister D's, Wolseley WD's and the like) but they all love their retirement
home. One day in the future they (or their parts) will spring to life again
(probably after I'm long gone) and someone will treat them with the respect
that they deserve and show them off to the world (Oh well, South Africa at
least - if petrol is still available :-)).

         As most of you know, I'm still a newbie to this hobby (sickness) I
only got infected in 2004 and do not have any really serious "old iron" but
I love what I've got and respect all you guys with all the "good stuff".
I've got a few old engines here that are much older than me and they look
so much better than I do !!

         That's all for now Guys (and Gals) gotta go and get my beauty
sleep (it does not help!).

         Oh! I forgot to work out the ratio, which was what started this
thread - well I'm too tired for "Maths" right now so do it yourselves !! <grin>

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>