[SEL] Corn-gas a BUST! - OT

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Sep 26 10:47:50 PDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Arnie Fero wrote:

> This month's cover story in National Geographic magazine has a really
> comprehensive article on the subject.

Come now, Fero.

The article is another example of why I don't subscribe to National
Geographic.  They make a pretty magazine with awesome photography,
print it on nice paper, and supplement it with prose from writers who
can construct a sentence as pretty as Monet could paint.  But the the
writers are clearly the product of today's liberal universities, with
their left leaning slant and ecological fanaticism.

Consider the conclusion of the article, titled "Hard Numbers."  The
argument in favor of ethanol is that it has an "undeniable romance."
Quoted is some joker who makes his living relying on a government
subsidized boondoggle:  "I'm sitting in a river in a canoe.  Now do I
want to paddle upstream, or do I want to go with the flow?"

WTF is that?  If I want squishy feelings and metaphor, I'll read
fiction.  When I want hard numbers and facts, I turn to someplace
other than National Geographic.

Rob