[SEL] Corn-gas a BUST! - OT

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed Sep 26 06:40:42 PDT 2007

Hi Edd,

I think that's the point that folks are trying to make.  Using corn or
soybeans to make fuel isn't an economic proposition, it doesn't make sense
for the environment, and it sure as hell isn't energy efficient.

This month's cover story in National Geographic magazine has a really
comprehensive article on the subject.
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2007-10/biofuels/biofuels.html
If you're not a subscriber, I'm pretty sure that your local library gets
it.

If, OTOH, one's national posture is to add more feel-good, money losing,
state-run welfare programs, then biofuels are just the ticket.  I dunno
about the status of the welfare state in Oz, but here in the USA we've got
WAY too much in terms of welfare programs right now.  We DO NOT need more,
rather we need to cut a whole bunch of them.  Hell, we're raising
multi-generation families that breed on the dole and have never done a
moment's work to earn their keep or contribute anything to society.

Since we've veered totally off topic into the realm of the politics of the
welfare state, I've taken the liberty of of cc'ing the Slick Willy list.
I think that's a better forum to continue this thread.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com