[SEL] United Type A

JR504 at aol.com JR504 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 07:26:02 PDT 2007

I just purchased this air cooled United Type A.  Despite a thick  layer of
grease, dirt and dust it was in very nice shape.  After a day of  disassembly,
cleaning and reassembly I got it running.  There's a little  more play than I'd
like to see in the piston end of the connecting rod, but  it can wait until
the end of the show season for repair.  The low  compression was caused by
mouse nest debris holding the exhaust valve open a  little.
My questions are: What did United use to drive the cooling fan?  I've  got a
piece of rope running it now but it slips quite a bit.  Anyone every  try a
big rubber band?  I didn't have one to try.
What voltage should I use with an original style low tension coil?  I  ran it
with a 12V AGM battery with no problems, but I'd hate to burn the ignitor
contacts if that's too much.
Thanks,  and thanks Arnie for the previous help,
Joe Rappa
Mexico, NY

 Hi Joe,

Actually that sounds like good news.  The valves  should be a cheaper /
easier fix than a bore / rings job.

If you look  in Wendel or the Amanco book that model might have originally
been LT battery  & coil.  I'm not all that familiar with the air cooled
engines in  that line.

Good luck with the purchase!!

See ya,   Arnie