[SEL] United Type A

JR504 at aol.com JR504 at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 19:14:18 PDT 2007

Hello List,

I know how much everyone enjoys the "How much is this engine worth?"
questions, so I apologize in advance.  I wouldn't think of asking if  it wasn't
necessary.  Last week I discovered a friend of mine has a United  Type A 1 3/4 HP
Air Cooled Low Tension Motor that his Uncle gave to him. He said  he'd be glad
to see it go to a good home, but has no idea what it's  worth.   I'd like your
help putting a reasonable value on it that is  fair to both of us.  I don't
want to be put in the position of determining  the value of the engine if I'm
the guy trying to buy it.

Here's what I can tell you about it:
You already know, United Type A, Air Cooled, 1 3/4 HP, Low Tension  Ignition.

Engine is pretty complete. Missing the belt for the fan and one grease  cup
cap.
Good condition, no flaking rust, some old paint left, but definitely not
original paint.  No cracks or welds that I can spot.  Will need some  attention
on the magneto trip to tighten it back up.
Engine turns over but has no compression. Probably going to need some valve
work to correct that.

So, all I ask is: What would you pay to add this engine to your  collection?
, (and if you care to add a reason or two why you chose that  number, that'd
be appreciated too).

Thanks in advance,
Joe Rappa
Mexico, NY