[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

P. Johns enginepaul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:12:55 PDT 2007

Just a couple of observations:
As to " I hardly think the number of cars on the road nor amount of gas
consumed has TRIPLED in the last 7 years"

In the SanFran Bay Area traffic has increased and continues to do so. People
are driving further to work, and those that don't are still using more fuel
because they are on the road longer. A regular 35 mile trip takes me 45
minutes to an hour and sometimes longer; that's more fuel per mile. I don't
know what the traffic increase is, but there is definitely an increase
around here.

I said before that a friend - who knows his stuff - says diesel is the way
to go for now. More efficient diesel engines can be developed now and we
don't have to wait years for dream terminology and all the unknowns to come
on-line.

There is something about gas prices that has always annoyed me. I can pump
gas within sight of a refinery and pay more there than I pay in the hills
where the gas has to be trucked miles. I understand a little extra for local
taxes (lots extra in SanFran) but it just bugs me that gas prices are turned
around like that.

Paul in SanFran
Gotta get to work so I can fill my tank.