[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Tony & Jackie kimmell at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 17:10:36 PDT 2007

It's a process called
transesterification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transesterification  I know you don't
like Wikipedia, but this topic is correct from all that I see
(although I'm no chemist).

The addition of methanol and lye produce the reaction and create
biodiesel.  Basically it turns the thick oil into a thin liquid of
about the same consistency as diesel fuel, that will run in ANY
diesel engine without modifications.  Although cars older than the
early 90's will probably have natural rubber fuel lines that will
need to be replaced with newer synthetic hoses.  Biodiesel will eat
through natural rubber in short order.  You also should remove your
fuel tank and clean it out REALLY good, because if you don't, the
biodiesel will clean it out FOR you, leading to clogged fuel filters
and all kinds of fun.  Biodiesel is an excellent solvent (I want to
see someone try it to unstick a piston in an old engine).

Vegetable oil works perfectly well without putting it through the
above process, but you have to filter it well and make sure all
moisture is removed before using it.  Most guys will run a heater
hose back to their veggie oil tank with some kind of heat-exchanger
to heat the fuel (usually just wrapping it around the tank a few
times).  The engines are started and warmed up on regular
diesel.  Once the engine is warm and the coolant has heated the
veggie oil, it is switched over.

I'll most likely have to have a similar setup with my waste oil
burner.  I'll probably go with some type of in-tank heater.  One that
can be wired to operate with the block heater circuit, as well as
running off the car's 12 volt supply while driving.

-Tony